Monday, February 1, 2010

Desiring What We Can't Have

It seems that in life, especially the stage where most of us are at...teenagers... that we desire, or long for things that are out of reach. These things whether clothes, money, a nicer car, bigger house, a relationship, better grades, or a spiritual need, whatever they may be no matter if we have them or not we seem always be in want of more or the higher level of what we have already achieved. In the Great Gatsby, we see that a prominent character by the name of Daisy secretly loved and desired the mysterious Mr. Gatsby, but rather than pursuing what her heart longed for, she married a man that could provide her with money and stability although she was not truly in love with him at all. From the way we see her, she seems to be putting on this fake attitude of "every thing's okay" when in reality she's suffering from the lack of her hearts true desire. I believe that that this is true, we are never content with what we have, we are always desiring something else, and it is not always necessarily a bad thing. I also believe that it is human nature to never fully be satisfied, we will always be thirsty for more. Although I personally find it annoying that I am constantly wanting something that I can't have or that is not within my reach to retain, I also look at it as a constant adventure that almost everyone has gone through at some point in their life. I have many dreams and goals that are probably way out of my league and may never be achieved but still, there is something within me that desires for more and longs to try new things but I know that I will probably never get them. I often wonder why it is that it seems to always be this way. Why can I never have what I want? Reality is we will always want more, even crave more than is highly possible. Maybe it is because my heart really doesn't believe that I have the resources within me to actually attain these unreachable stars. Do I desire harder to achieve or die not achieving? One thing is for certain, if I give up, these dreams will not ever wake up. For today, in the present, I will try to stay content but not complacent.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree. No matter how many nice things we have or no matter how successful we are we always want more. Thats why I think the "American Dream" is impossible to reach. Some people believe its not there at all but it is, but no one will ever reach it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Gracie! Your post is kinda like mine in how we want the best things. I think that we all want to be liked and loved and that is one reason why we want the best things. I like it when you say we are always thirsty for more. I couldn't agree more with that sentence because we all are just saying " give me more!" Everyone just needs to be satisfied with themselves and know that we have everything we need for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, we are never happy with what we have, we are always striving for something greater. I believe that the "American Dream" is to find happiness, and I too believe that it is unreachable. We always strive for something to make us happier and once we reach it we still aren't satisfied as we find something else to strive for and so on. I quote the great Thomas Jefferson "life, liberty, and the PURSUIT of happiness" he says in the Declaration of Independence. By pursuit he means that we are free to strive for happiness but man will never find it.

    ReplyDelete