Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Role Models
This week was challenging to think of something to discuss and write about. My sister recently texted me and told me she was coming in this weekend for my cousins surprise birthday party, so i decided to talk about her. Not just her but having an older sibling in general and the progress of our relationship over the years. Hannah, my sister is two years older than me, a sophomore at the university of a&m (not my choice of school, but oh well) is honestly the person I look up to the most for advice, I know that I can go to her about anything, anytime of the day whether its in the middle of the day or 3 in the morning, she is always there. It hasn't always been like this though, I'm sure many of you who have an older sibling or siblings know what I'm talking about. Growing up Hannah has always been near perfect, almost never getting into major trouble, always surrounding herself with good friends, a constant church goer as well. Although I'm not wretchedly bad, I've always felt that Hannah was better than me or pleased my parents more, so I never felt completely comfortable talking to her about my problems because I thought all she would do was laugh at me and say "sucks for you" or judge me. People use to label Hannah as the "perfect angel" and me as "the wild Hardin". Although I never really admitted that this bothered me, it kind of did. It wasn't until Hannah left for college two years ago (my freshman year) that we actually got close. Hannah began to loosen the reigns (not in a bad way) and I began to realize that we actually did have things in common, like when she wasn't there I couldn't vent to her about how annoying our mom and dad were being or how I was having a bad day or the latest drama at school...I wasn't a wildcat then so it was terrible. Now, believe it or not I actually look forward to her coming home or me going to stay with her. Don't get me wrong we still get annoyed with each other and disagree on things but for the most part we laugh hysterically, cry when we need to, talk about old memories and vent to each other. If it wasn't for my older sister I wouldn't have my best friend or my role model. Although you may not relate in anyway, I'm sure most of you have some type of role model in your life, and for me that happens to be my sister!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
GG this is such a sweet post! I am a little shocked you didn't write this about me.. but thats ok. Hannah will do- love you!
ReplyDelete